Did you see the new genealogy reality show last Friday night? Who Do You Think You Are? has sucked me in! The episodes take celebrities on a search for their ancestors, with some pretty amazing results.
My thoughts in no order:
* all of the featured personalities are celebrities – not just everyday folks
* the celebrities’ stories could be my stories or your stories – they were everyday folks before they were stars
* the show only presents the exciting results – not the hundreds of hours of work done by professional genealogists to achieve the results
* it would be awesome to have those resources
* the emotions are real
* as I got caught up in her story, I forgot Sarah Jessica Parker was a star
* to be physically present in a place where an ancestor has stood creates a strong bond and sometimes overwhelming emotion
* I want to know my ancestors and some details of their lives
* genealogy is addictive!
Tune in tonight at 7 p.m. MST on NBC to watch Emmitt Smith’s family history unfold. Check out the website for past episodes. You’re gonna love it!